Steve Faessel is an Anaheim kid. He was born and raised in Anaheim, attended local schools, found his first job here, met his wife Susan and raised his family in our community.
For nearly 30 years Steve has worked as an executive at Ace Hardware Corporate Offices. He understands business, budgets and, most importantly, people.
While he is proud of his family and his work, another real source of pride is his community service.
As Chairman of the Anaheim Public Utilities Board, Steve guided our resident owned utility through the 1999-2000 energy crisis and defined the value of our electric and water utility for our citizen ratepayers. He reinforced the importance of increased infrastructure maintenance and improvement for the long-term benefit of our residents. While serving on the Anaheim General Plan Advisory Committee he supported the update of the City’s General Plan that guides the community’s future growth.
As a member of the Anaheim Planning Commission, Steve Faessel made decisions that improved the local economy while preserving the quality of life in various neighborhoods. He voted to protect the Anaheim Resort District zoning that maintains the Resort’s contribution to Anaheim’s essential services, such as Public Safety, Libraries and Parks. As Chairman of the Utilities Undergrounding Program, he supported its activities that provide improved reliability and appearance of our roadways and neighborhoods.
As Chairman of the Budget, Investment, and Technology Commission, he strived for transparency of the City’s budget process and delivering a balanced budget to the City Council. Our budget focuses on neighborhoods, investing in core services and public safety. Steve Faessel recently oversaw the complete updating of the City’s website which now permits our citizens to access information on city activities more easily.
In addition to his lengthy civic commitment, he has served on many-not-for-profit community organizations, such as the Anaheim Community Foundation, Anaheim Museum, MUZEO, Anaheim Historical Society, Inc., and Mother Colony Household, Inc. He and Susan financially support a number of Anaheim betterment organizations, such as, Anaheim Arts Council, Anaheim Beautiful, Anaheim Boys and Girls Club, Anaheim Family YMCA, Orange County Family Justice Center, Anaheim Performance Arts Center, Chance Theater, and Orange County Symphony.
A sampling of Steve Faessel’s Civic and Community Activities
- 5/2015 to present: Anaheim Director, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD)
- 6/2014 to present: Anaheim Budget, Investment, & Technology Commission (Chair)
- 6/2006 to 6/2013: Anaheim Planning Commission
- 6/2006 – 6/2007: Alternate for Anaheim’s Electric Public Utilities Undergrounding Sub-committee
- 6/2007 to 6/2013: Member for Anaheim’s Electric Public Utilities Undergrounding Sub-committee
- District 5 Public Utilities Underground Projects
- Jan 2011
- On Sunkist St. to Winston Rd. to La Palma Ave.
- On Winston from Sunkist to State College
- On Ball Rd from the 57 to State College
- Aug 2008
- On Lincoln from Rio Vista to Santa Ana River
- June 2008
- On Katella between the Union Pacific Rail Road (UPRR) tracks w/o Lewis St and State College Blvd
- On Lewis St from Katella to Howell
- Approved projects to the 5 Year Plan
- Lincoln/Rio Vista Phase 1
- Lincoln/Rio Vista
- On La Palma from East to State College
- 2001 to 2004: Anaheim General Plan Advisory Committee
- 7/1998 to 6/2006: Anaheim Public Utilities
(Chair from 8/1999-6/2006)
- 2016 to present: Facilitated City of Anaheim Public Works Dept. response to the corner at Wagner / Rio Vista due to continuing accidents
- 2013/2014: Community leader of the Stop The Power Plant collation that successfully opposed the 250MW CVP Power Plant Project at the Santa River / Ball Road Basin.
- 2007 to present: Neighborhood advocate for the Five Coves, Santa Ana River Nature / Bicycle Trail extension from Lincoln Ave to Frontera St. Instrumental in acquiring State of California Grant Funding.
- 2006 to 2011: Neighborhood advocate for the Anaheim Coves, Santa Ana River Nature / Bicycle Trail from Ball Road to Lincoln Ave.
- Jan 2011
- District 5 Public Utilities Underground Projects
COMMUNITY / NON-PROFIT ACTIVITIES / INVOLVEMENT:
- 2/2016: Steve and his wife, Susan, were honored by the Cypress College Foundation Americana Awards as Anaheim Citizens of the Year
- 6/2014: Steve and his wife, Susan, were awarded the Anaheim Beautiful, President’s Award for their continued support of beautification projects in Anaheim
- Current member of Anaheim Flag Day Committee; Master of Ceremonies of the stage event for last 5 years
- 2000 to 2008: Participated in the Downtown Anaheim Redevelopment Design Ad Hoc Committee
- Continuing participant in Anaheim Police K9 training in our neighborhood
- Active participant in local Neighborhood Watch
- 11/2003 to present: Anaheim Community Foundation, Executive Committee
- 5/2003 to present: Charitable Foundation of the Native Sons of the Golden West that provides significant financial assistance to children born with Cleft Palate or other craniofacial abnormalities
- 2002 to present: Sponsor of the Anaheim Elementary School District 3rd Grade, History of Anaheim Art Contest
- Member of the MUZEO Planning Committee and Founding member of Anaheim MUZEO Foundation. Currently serves on the Executive Committee as Secretary of the Board of Directors.
- Anaheim Historical Society, Inc., Past President (1999-2004), current Corresponding Secretary
- Mother Colony Household, Inc., President
- Anaheim Museum, Vice President, Board of Directors
- 4/1997 to 6/2006 Orange County Historical Commission representing Supervisorial, District 4 (Chair 2 terms)
CAREER / BUSINESS:
- 2016 completing a fifty-year retail hardware and building materials career. Last 18 years managing a 16-store ACE Hardware chain.
- Since 1975: Continuing Education Instructor for the North Orange County Community College District (NOCCCD) in the field of electricity, electrical codes and utility systems. A member of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Electrical Section.
SUPPORTER / MEMBER:
- Anaheim Arts Council
- Anaheim Beautiful
- Anaheim Boys and Girls Club
- Anaheim Cops 4 Kids (C4K)
- Anaheim Family YMCA
- Anaheim Flag Day: A Tribute to Old Glory
- Anaheim Performing Arts Center Foundation (APAC)
- Anaheim Public Library Foundation
- Caterina’s Club
- Chance Theater
- Cypress College Foundation
- Kiwanis Club of Greater Anaheim (KCGA)
- Orange County Family Justice Center (OCFJC)
- Orange County Paint Your Heart Out (PYHO)
- Orange County Symphony
- Pearson Park Amphitheater, Summer Series
- Wife Susan of 44 years
- One son, daughter-in-law, 3 grandsons
- Horace Mann Elementary
- Boniface Elementary
- Mater Dei High School
- Fullerton College
- CSU Fullerton, BA Marketing
- Practicing Roman Catholic at St. Joseph’s Chapel, Orange